Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Book Kiwi Reviews - The Juliette Chronicles Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi




Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.


The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Genre- Dystopian Books in Order-  #1 Shatter Me #2 Unravel Me #3 Ignite Me 
Novellas (MUST READ!!)- #1.5 Destroy Me #2.5 Fracture Me 

Today I have a series review on The Juliette Chronicles aka The Shatter Me trilogy. The last book came out in February and since then I kept hearing amazing things about this series so I had to jump on the bandwagon. I had picked up the first book a couple months back when I saw it was only $4 dollars so I had no excuse not to start. The other two were pretty cheap on kindle and considering I despise the ugly Australian/NZ covers of this series I quickly brought them and decided I would marathon the entire trilogy. These books are very popular so I had very high expectations and I was little bit let down after reading Shatter Me, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. I was hesitant to carry on and was thinking about starting a completely new book but I thought I would give it another chance and decided to pick up Destroy Me which is the novella that comes after Shatter Me. And that is when I fell in love! I was hooked and flew through the rest of the series. From the start I loved the writing style and fell more in love with it as the series continued. The writing is so beautiful and Tahereh Mafi has definitely jumped to the top of my favourite authors list. Each book is better than the last and the final book is the perfect ending. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I will say the romance in this series is surprising and so so good, I'm in love.This series is very much character driven which I enjoyed a lot, I loved seeing the characters develop. I'm guessing you have probably already read this series as I'm sure I was one of the last to hop on the Shatter Me train but if you haven't you need to get to it immediately. I completely recommend it if your looking for a good dystopian/character development/romance series, it was so good. 

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.” 

“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.” 

“And we are quotation marks, inverted and upside down, clinging to one another at the end of this life sentence. Trapped by lives we did not choose.” 

“I want you,” he says. He says “I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you.”

I  could quote the entire series but I will stop now before it gets too spoilery, just go pick yourself up a copy of Shatter Me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment